Contact Us: Ferndale 248-336-4000 ~ Detroit 313-861-4400
Influenza, commonly known as the flu, is a serious respiratory disease. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), each year, 200,000 Americans are hospitalized due to flu-related complications, with as many as 49,000 deaths from influenza-related causes.
What you thought was just a little cold could be the flu. Whenever you think you have the flu, talk to your doctor about treatment right away. Treating the flu virus at its source may help limit its ability to spread in your body.
The flu vaccine is recommended to all persons six months of age and older, including healthy adults. It is especially important to get a flu vaccine if you are:
- Six months through 18 years of age
- 50 years and older
- Pregnant or just had a baby
- At an unhealthy weight
- Living in a nursing home or long-term care home
- Living with a weakened immune system or chronic medical condition (diabetes, heart or lung disease)
- Living with or caring for someone who is more likely to have flu complications
- A person who works in health care
Do you want to discuss this with a physician? Give us a call and/or make an appointment today.